Thursday, April 13, 2006

Wurble Wurble Sclup

Well, this is fun.

Main nameserver goes down. Secondary nameserver ... oh dear, it's the same as the primary nameserver. Therefore, all our websites gradually fall off air as DNS records fall out of caches. I get my first page at midnight or so, when I'm at home. Tucked in bed, a long way away from my password files in the folder in the cupboard at work, and also a long way away from my RoboForm USB key. Also at work.

Ring service provider in the US (Hooray for NodePhone!). Can't do nothing, sir, without you lodging a trouble ticket. OK, let's try to log in then - whoops, no login info here. How about the handy reset password button? Success! Except ... with no nameservers reachable, there's no MX record, so the password-reset mail is probably still sitting in the mail queue of the service provider in question. Can they reset my password manually? Sure! All I need is the last four digits of the boss' credit card number. The big, big, boss.

I've got that joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart.

No comments: